Prof. Ing. Michal Holčapek, Ph.D., defended his Ph.D. thesis on the connection of liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry under the supervision of prof. P. Jandera at the Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Chemical Technology of the University of Pardubice in 1999. After defending his Ph.D. thesis, he continued his scientific work at the Department of Analytical Chemistry, where he was appointed Associate Professor in Analytical Chemistry in 2009 and in 2013 Professor in Analytical Chemistry. He conducted research during several short study stays in France, the USA and Norway. Prof. Holčapek is an editor of the international magazine TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry and a member of the editorial boards of the journals Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry and Lipids. He is Vice President of the International Lipidomics Society.
- Mass spectrometry of organic and bioorganic compounds
- Lipidomic analysis
- Lipid biomarkers and malignant cancer early diagnosis
Prof. Holčapek deals with the use of mass spectrometry in qualitative and quantitative analysis of organic and bioorganic compounds. Recently, he specializes in lipidomic analysis using the combination of mass spectrometry with ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography and ultra-high-performance supercritical fluid chromatography with the aim of developing validated analytical methods for high-throughput analysis of as many lipid classes as possible. A key application is the analysis of biological samples in cancer patients to identify dysregulated lipids and their use for early cancer detection using multivariate data analysis.
Prominent international cooperation
- prof. M. Wenk – National University of Singapore
- Dr. G. Liebisch – University Hospital Regensburg, Germany
- Dr. K. Ekroos – Lipidomics Consulting Ltd., Esbo, Finland
Bibliometric indicators (Web of Science)
Number of papers 131, H-index 38, Total number of citations > 4500
Citations per paper in WoS Categories 2000-2019 (CZ average): CHEMISTRY ANALYTICAL 39.38 (19.77),
BIOCHEMICAL RESEARCH METHODS 41.81 (22.01)
Two most important projects carried out from the position of principal investigator or co-investigator
- Mass Spectrometry in Cancer Research: Lipid Biomarkers for Early Diagnostics, The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic, ERC CZ LL1302.
- Characterization of human lipidome and metabolome for personalized healthcare and biomarker discovery: case study of kidney cancer, Czech Science Foundation GA18-12204S.
Two most important publications
- Holčapek M., Liebisch G., Ekroos K.: Lipidomic Analysis, Anal. Chem. 90 (2018) 4249-4257.
- Lísa M., Holčapek M.: High-Throughput and Comprehensive Lipidomic Analysis Using Ultrahigh-Performance Supercritical Fluid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry, Anal. Chem. 87 (2015) 7187–7195.
Power List 2013 and 2015 for the 100 Most Influential Scientists in Analytical Chemistry – The Analytical Scientist journal
(2015 and 2013)
- Co-author of the best work of the year in clinical pharmacology awarded by the Czech Society for Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology under the J.E. Purkyně Czech Medical Association (2007, 2006 and 2003)
- The Karel Preis Prize for the best article of 1998 published in Chemické listy (1999)
- Chemistry Award by the French Embassy in Prague and the company Rhône-Poulenc (1997)