The University of Pardubice has been extending almost seventy year long tradition of higher education in the city of Pardubice. The Chemical College, later known for 40 years as the Institute of Chemical Technology, was founded in Pardubice in 1950 to answer the needs of the East Bohemian Region, which had a highly developed chemical industry, yet lacked professionally trained specialists in this field.
After the year 1990, the character of the Institute changed, new faculties were founded offering a wide range of study programmes not only chemistry-related. Since 1994, the new name - the University of Pardubice - has been used. The University of Pardubice is one of the 26 public higher education institutions in the Czech Republic, and the only higher university-type educational institution in Pardubice Region. Its educational, scientific, research and development activities are realized with accordance to the Higher Education Act No. 111/1998, and towards the European Higher Education and Research Area.