Profile

The inorganic technology has been evolved at the Faculty of Chemical Technology (FCT) at the University of Pardubice since the foundation of the University of Chemical Technology in Pardubice, which is a predecessor of the current Faculty. Since 1950, the branch was developed at one of the units of the Department of General and Inorganic Chemistry (DGIC) led by Doc. Ing. Koutník, CSc., in 1959 independent Department of Inorganic Technology (DIT) was established and Doc. Ing. Jiří Mýl, up to then the Head of the Department of Physical Chemistry, was accredited to lead it. Scientific and research focus of the Department was oriented on the issue of crystallization from aqueous solutions, chemistry of phosphorus compounds, industrial fertilizers and feed supplements, the research in the area of Burel production was conducted in quite a large extent in relation to the needs of the factory VCHZ  Pardubice. Together with DGIC and DIT, in the 60’ the Department contributed to the development of new study branch Production of Highly Pure Substances. Even in the 70’ the focus of DIT’s scientific and pedagogic activities stayed basically unchanged; however the current needs of our chemical industry were taken into an account. The research in the area of crystallization was aimed at study and development of liquid crystals for temperature indication and materials for printed circuits (M.Mýl, S.Pirkl, J.Tuček), the school of inorganic pigments was formed (M.Trojan, Z.Šolc, D.Brandová); in this respect the attention is paid to the mixed oxide materials for ceramics and enamels.
In 1977 Prof.  Mýl left his position as the Head of the Department, at the age of 65, and until 1979 the DIT was lead by the Head of DGIC, Prof.Ing.  Jiří Klikorka, DrSc. followed by Prof. Ing. Milan Kuchler, CSc. During the 80’ the branch of special inorganic pigments was fully developed aiming mainly at high temperature application and anticorrosion protection; also research in the field of industrial fertilizers with controlled solubility and analytical methods for quality control of inorganic products were further strengthen (Z.Uhlíř, L.Svoboda). At this time the thermodynamic workplace began to be developed and was focused on studying the processes of coagulation and crystallization using calorimetric methods (V.Velich, M.Kroupa, G.Sádovská). In addition the research was carried out  in the field of technical appreciation of inorganic salts and preparation of high purity chemicals (O.Söhnel), the research focus of the DIT was expanded after the radiometric workplace was established (Z.Šmejkal), which was engaged in the usage of radio analytical methods for studying the  quality of materials designed mainly for building purposes.
The majority of above listed research topics was developed at the DIT also during 1990 – 1996, when prof. Ing. Zdeněk Šolc, CSc. acted as the Head of the Department and also nowadays, when the Department is lead by doc. Ing. Ladislav Svoboda, CSc. In the context of the departure of some employees (S.Pirkl, J. Tuček, O.Söhnel, Z. Šmejkal) the research of technologies related to preparation of high purity chemicals was shut; issues with regards to liquid crystals research were transferred to the Department of Physics at the FCT and the operation of the radiometric laboratory was also terminated. In connection with the relocation of most departments of the Faculty in 2009 from the facilities at the Cs.Legii square to the University campus in Pardubice – Polabiny, the DIT was moved to the reconstructed facilities of technology pavilion of the FCT in Pardubice – Doubravice.